Hors d’Oeuvres to Ring in the New Year
When entertaining, I love having a variety of hors d’oeuvres that are simple to prepare in advance. Here’s a round up of 4 of my favorite hors d’oeuvres to help you ring in the New Year!
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
2 packages of Baby Bella Mushrooms
1 lb. sweet sausage
1 shallot diced
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 cup breadcrumbs or panko bread crumbs
1 cup spinach
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash mushrooms, taking off the stems and set aside. Place the mushroom caps in a small baking pan.
- Next, dice up the mushroom stems and set aside. I never like throwing away perfectly good ingredients, plus it helps with the stuffing mixture.
- Next, coat a large skillet with olive oil and add in the diced shallots.
- After shallots are golden, add in the sausage, diced mushroom stems, spinach and a dash of salt and pepper and cook until golden brown.
- Once sausage mixture is cooked transfer to a bowl, folding in the egg and breadcrumbs. I prefer using Panko, Japanese breadcrumbs. But use whatever you have on hand or prefer.
- Next, using a small spoon, stuff each mushroom cap with the sausage mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 -30 minutes.
- For the last few minutes, you'll want to remove the mushrooms from the oven to sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese until it melts.
Transfer to a serving platter and enjoy!
Easy Caprese Salad
3 large heirloom tomatoes
1 lb. Mozzarella
1 bunch fresh basil
3 tbsp. olive oil (or more depending on taste)
A dash of salt and pepper
Deviled Avocado Eggs
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella and arrange on a large plate, alternating slices of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill for approximately 10-15 minutes before serving.
12 hard-boiled eggs
¼ cup of mayonnaise
2 tsp. mustard
Dash of salt, pepper and paprika
Dash of cayenne pepper optional
Endive Stuffed with Feta
- After peeling the hard-boiled eggs, cut in half and gently scoop out the yolks. Place the yolks in a small bowl and place the egg whites on a serving tray.
- Next, add avocado, mayonnaise, mustard and mix together with the yolks and the juice of one lemon, salt and pepper to taste. If you want a little extra spice add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Using a small spoon, take the avocado and yolk mixture and carefully stuff the egg whites.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
2 endive heads
2 cups feta
½ red onion diced
Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine feta, red onion, salt and pepper.
- Next, separate the endive spears and arrange on your serving tray.
- Stuff the feta mixture on the endive spears. And it’s ready to serve!