Linguine con le Vongole is one of my absolute favorite dishes to make for friends and family! And did you know it's not only a summer dish? Linguine con le Vongole can also be enjoyed in the cold winter months, because clams are best when they are found in cold water!
Linguine con le Vongole is a family recipe that has been in my family for many years. I love putting my own modern twist on traditional family recipes. In this dish, I like using a mixture of red and green tomatoes, which adds a nice unique flavor to the sauce. And for the WOW factor, I love to serve linguine and clams in a bread bowl!
Prep-time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 ½ lbs. little neck clams (scrubbed)
1 ½ lbs. manila clams (scrubbed)
1 oval-shaped sourdough loaf
½ package chopped cherry tomatoes
1 chopped green tomato
4 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup finely chopped garlic
1 cup dry white wine
1 box of linguine
1 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Start with an oval-shaped sourdough loaf, coring out the center, leaving the base. Optional: save the extra bread to dice up and serve along with the dish, which is great for dipping into the broth at the bottom! For this recipe, I’m using Amy’s Bread, one of my favorite bakeries in NYC. You can usually find an oval-shaped loaf of bread at your local supermarket. Coat the oval-shaped loaf with butter and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the linguine and cook according to the directions on the box.
3. While the pasta is cooking, coat a large skillet with olive oil and on medium heat sauté garlic just until golden brown.
4. Add tomatoes and wine and cook for approximately 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
5. Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the clams, thyme and parsley, cover and cook until the clams open up, approximately 10 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
6. While the clams are cooking, right before you’re ready to serve the dish, just pop the oval-shaped loaf into the broiler on low heat for just a few minutes – toasting the bread until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
7. Combine all ingredients into the bread bowl and serve. Buon Appetito!