My love for cream cheese frosting and vanilla cupcakes together at last! I made these cupcakes over the weekend and after taste-testing a few different recipes, I came up with the perfect batch! Just follow these easy directions and you will have a delicious batch of cupcakes that would make St. Patrick green with envy.
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting:
8 ounces light cream cheese (softened)
¼ cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
Combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract and mix together, gently add the confectioner’s sugar. Be sure to sift the confectioners sugar, you don’t want to have lumpy frosting.
Mix all ingredients together and then set aside.
Ingredients for cupcakes:
2 cups flour
½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 ½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup chopped pistachios – Add ½ cup to the batter and set aside a ¼ cup to decorate the frosted cupcakes.
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together – flour, baking powder and chopped pistachios.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and butter until fluffy, gradually adding in butter, milk and eggs to the mixture.
4. Next evenly distribute batter among liners, filing each about three-quarters full and bake until golden brown about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer to a wire rack, cool and then frost. Start by adding a layer of frosting to the top of the cupcake.
If you don’t have a cake decorating kit or pastry bag, just use wax paper. Shape the piece of wax paper into a cone, add the frosting into the cone and be sure to squeeze the frosting together trying to eliminate any air bubbles. Next, cut the tip of the cone and you are ready to frost.
6. Start by pointing the tip of the bag on the outer edge of the cupcake moving in a circle working your way towards the center.
7. Sprinkle with pistachios and have a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!